The Carswere formed in the late 1970's. They were an American band which played punk rock in the early stages of that style of music. The members of the group were Rick Ocasek (guitar player), Benjamin Orr (bass player), Elliot Easton (guitar player, Greg Hawkes (keyboard player), and David Robinson (drummer). The group was from Boston, Massachusetts and signed on with Elektra Records in 1977. Ric Ocasek and Benjamin Orr were the lead vocalists and they split the songs with Ric doing about 60% of them and Benjamin doing lead for the remaining 40%. The groups most successful song, Drive, was sung by Benjamin Orr. Ric did most of the writing of the music and lyrics. The group began as a group called Milkwood and they released an album which did not Chart. After that Ocasek and Orr formed a group called Richard and the Rabbits. They played in local clubs for a while.
The Cars were discovered by Maxanne Sartori who was a local DJ on WBCN-Fm and they began playing the Carís songs on the radio. Record labels did not want to sign them up because they claimed that they looked too weird and the band was not experienced enough for the big times. Their songs were professional enough. The group decided to change their member base and they ended up with members, Robinson, Hawkes, Orr, and Ocasek. They got rid of the keyboard and the bass, and the drummer. Then the group began to tour New England. They perfected their songs and signed with Elektra records. They then released a single called, Just What I Needed. They later released their debut album, The cars, and the single was on the album. The album was released in 1978 and it reached number 3 on the Billboard Pop Album chart. Soon after, My Best Friendís Girl, and Good Times Roll were released. They reached the Billboard Top 40. Their second album called, Candy-O, was released in 1979. Two more single hits came from that album and they both reached the Top 40 chart. The songs were called Letís Go, and Itís All I Can Do.
In 1982 the group split up for a while and pursued solo careers. They reunited in 1984 and released their most popular album which was called Heartbeat City. After a while and some more hits and albums later, the group took another break to pursue solo careers. In 1987 The Cars released their last album called Door to Door. The album did not get much attention so in 1988 they broke up again. Some members are still in the music business and some are not. Benjamin Orr died in 2000 with pancreatic cancer.
Arists by Song Title
80s Music Artists
'80s Music Quiz
'80s Arcade Games